You will find articles organized by categories, along with recent comments, along the right hand column of the website. If you are just getting started with the idea of converting a gas car to electric be sure to check out Your First Electric Car
Welcome and enjoy!
The Knuckle Gods Are Pleased · 16 September 05
The photo shows the growing pile of parts removed from Eve over the past two days. Hopefully in a day or two the engine will be joining it.
I’d forgotten about the power steering fluid the other night so that was the first order of business. I didn’t keep the power steering on the first EV and have no plans to keep this one. The problem is that Ford snaked the hoses and pipes for power steering all over the place. At one point they exit the engine compartment and go into the wheel well…what’s up with that?
Remember when I mentioned how much fun it is to tear things apart?
I’m an idiot.
Well, actually, I have a smoothing algorithm in my brain that takes the hard edges off of bad memories, casting them in a rosy, warm glow of fond nostalgia. I realized this last night when I looked down to see bright red blood oozing from otherwise oily black hands. Oh, right, this…
When I show my wife how to work on vehicles I’m always sure to demonstrate how to appease the Knuckle Gods; those bloodthirsty rulers of all things auto-mechanical. Last night’s offerings should mean I’m good for the rest of this project.
There’s a freeze plug on the back side of the engine block which has a razor sharp edge. I met with it on two occassions and each time came away with a little less skin and blood than I started off with. Add to that the normal dings and bruises from working in a cramp, oily compartment and I’m starting to look a little messed up.
Still, it’s kinda fun.
While the power steering fluid drained I got out the hacksaw and cut the A/C hoses to get them out of the way. A bunch of nuts and bolts and pipes needed to be removed before the power steering/anti-freeze/windsheild fluid reservoirs would come out. The anti-freeze and windsheild fluid live in this one big, hunk-o-plastic container. Check the picture at the top of the page and you can spot it in the jumble.
The two photos show before and after shots of the engine compartment. Lots of little things have been disconnected or removed, which you can’t really see in the image. The exhaust pipe is disconnected and all but two of the transmission to engine bolts have been removed. While loosening one of the bolts the socket shattered like it was hard candy.
What you can’t see (and I can’t really see it all that well either) is the wire bundle around the back side of the engine, under the intake manifold. This leads to the alternator, starter, and probably a couple of other things. I was going to remove the intake manifold to make it easier, but after hitting that freeze plug of doom a few times I’m not to keen about the idea (plus some of the bolts are under/behind the manifold).
I’m not quite sure how I’ll proceed: start jacking out the engine and disconnect anything that’s still hooked up, or skin a few more knuckles and get the intake manifold off. One way or another things are coming out.