You will find articles organized by categories, along with recent comments, along the right hand column of the website. If you are just getting started with the idea of converting a gas car to electric be sure to check out Your First Electric Car
Welcome and enjoy!
Gas Free · 30 September 05
I won’t be so bold as to say that Eve is an EV just yet, but I think it is safe to say that she is no longer a gas car either. Last night I removed the last vestiges of gas, namely, the gas tank.
If you’ve never pulled a gas tank out of a car you’d be surprised at how much crap is hooked to it. I imagine that it probably looks a lot like Dick Cheney’s heart, what with all of the bypass hoses, valves, and wires.
The gas tank was about as ornery, too. All of the pipes were woven over the back cross-member without any real room to get in and disconnect them. I finally got out the cable cutters and had at it, cutting all of the hoses including the giant hose from the filler nozzle.
On an earlier entry I outlined some of the tools that I’ve been using on the project. Pictured here are some equally useful items: high leverage cable cutter, a 1/2 inch socket drive bar (lots of leverage), and a floor creeper. Ignore the socket on the bar, it’s a non-tempered socket from a set that has been driving me crazy. One of these days I’m going to have a non-tempered tools rant.
The floor creeper is great fun once you get used to it, zipping around the garage like a turtle flipped over onto skates. You get used to having a ton of car zipping by inches from your nose and dealing with everything upside down. For a luxurious ride check out this creeper.
While I was under the car I removed more excess weight, including a heat shield panel. If not for the exhaust, cars could be made more streamlined underneath. As it is there’s a balance of keeping the hot pipes away from the chassis without hanging too low. Up to 80% of the gas burned in a car comes out as waste heat that has to be dealt with. On a hot, sunny day you have the sun broiling the top of the car, the engine broiling the bottom, with us inside playing the part of grilled cheese sandwiches.
On the first EV I used rubber mats and streamlined the underside of the engine compartment. This also helped keep water from splashing up into the electric motor. It might be nice to find a nice, lightweight, yet rigid material to cover the entire bottom of the car with.
The photo shows a view of Eve’s undercarriage as seen from the front of the car. In case you haven’t tried it yet most of the pictures I put on these pages are clickable to see a larger version.